Friday, April 30, 2010

STAR Award Con't...

I was also inspired by the incoming president of the AOTA, Florence Clark, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA.  She is a feisty, tenacious, strong-spirited, and bold woman-leader.  Very well spoken, with lots to say (and a lot in support of our young generation of OTS) she actually had to be asked to sit down---And had to be asked multiple times!  She didn't want to give up the fight!  I hope that someday I will exhibit these admirable characteristics.


And if there is one thing I will remember most of all, it is the passion of the exiting president, Penny Moyers Cleveland, EdD, OTR/L, BCMH, FAOTA.  As she addressed the RA in closing, before leaving the meeting, she couldn't hold back the tears of defeat for the motion and vision she had worked towards, the sorrow for leaving her position, the anxiety she felt pulse around the whole room due to the controversy the motion created, and her pure passionate want for the Association to grow and develop into something better and more prepared for the future decisions it will have to make. I find this an amazing quality!  So often people in big, high, powerful positions lose the very emotion that got them there, but she has kept that as a driving force in her very successful career.  In her presentation to the ASD, she explained pure joy as the "Bone Dance" her dog Bella does.  It is because of people like her who are willing to share and bare it all that the up-and-comers, like me, will be able to dance that "Bone Dance" of pure joy!  My heart pours with gratitude to her and all of the inspiring women I have written about!


The reason I am so proud to be a part of AOTA is because of the strong-confident women-leaders, who will stand-up and speak out for what they believe is best.


I really want you all to know that you have a support group who has and continues to keep your profession (OT) alive!!! (That means, they make sure you have work!!!!) They want to support you, and they truly believe in the good work that you do/will do.  Join AOTA and continue you membership---be a part of a wonderful Association.  Your job depends on it!

1 comment:

  1. Ann-English,
    I totally agree. It takes a very self-confident leader to be able to laugh at herself about something silly that happened! I hope to be more like President Moyers in the future!

    ReplyDelete