Friday, April 30, 2010

Dr. Bell Receives the RA Star Award!!!!

Task group 3, chaired by Dr. Bell brought forward the most controversial motion for the Representative Assembly (RA) this year.  The RA is the decision making body of the AOTA, consisting of representatives from every state, and task group 3 was working on and presenting a motion to dissolve the RA and reorganize into a smaller decision making body. The push for this change came as a part of the whole Association's change and move towards the Centennial Vision.  This vision states, "We envision that occupational therapy is a powerful, widely recognized, science-driven, and evidence-based profession with a globally connected and diverse workforce meeting society’s occupational needs."

And so, the debate about the motion begins... It goes without saying that change is never easy and rarely ever peaceful.  I want to write that I love change, but I don't--I find change hard, but I like the tough road because of where it takes you.  I acknowledge that I am new to this organization, but this is my shared blog, so my opinion is all over it! I see the need for change if the AOTA is ever going to be the organization it once was (back in the good ole days) and more.

My opinion on this matter is strongly shared by other students and members of the ASD.  We, students, see a need for the Association to adopt new ways (technology) where individuals (including the young practitioners) feel empowered and able to get involved. Part of the reorganization would have included this technology!

In the end, at the "Calling of the Question" the motion was defeated 35 to 28.  The RA had decided at that point not to dissolve and recreate.

Truly inspirational moments come from defeat:
My smile was busting at the seams as I watched Dr. Bell's colleagues give her a huge round of applause and standing ovation for her efforts and leadership in the task group.  I felt an overwhelming sense of pride to watch a professor and mentor receive such enthusiasm and appreciation from her leader-colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment